Saturday, October 18, 2008

(Un)necessary Censorship

Last night was the night we had tickets to go see Jimmy Kimmel Live. The show is taped right in the middle of the tourist area, on Hollywood blvd. Earlier in the day, we had gone down there and walked around with Kenzie (Wendy's daughter). So when we were taking the train, we thought we were pros and weren't paying as much attention as we should. We were running a little late, and missed the first train. After waiting for 8 minutes (long for the train), we got on the train. Well, there are 2 different trains, and 1 of them does NOT go to Hollywood. When the train stopped, they made everyone get out and security guards checked the train. We thought it was just a security check, so when the train started going the opposite direction we were very comfused. We soon found out from other passengers that we had gotten on the wrong train, and that we now had to go back 2 stops, to transfer to the right line.

Because we didn't want to miss another train, we bolted from the train, ran down the stairs, and jumped into the train. Almost like a guy from the movies that is getting chased by the evil guys. I think I have anxiety issues, because we got there 30 minutes before the show, and were in a good spot in line, but I still worried the whole time that we wouldn't get in. We did get in, and actually got to sit on the front row, right next to the middle isle, where Jimmy does his monolog.

They let you into the studio about 30 minutes before they start taping, and have some guy do the warm-up entertaining. Part of the warm-up was a talent show, and people that participated got a Jimmy kimmel T-shirt. I really wanted to get a shirt. The other people that did talents did some pretty dumb ones, so I figured I would get up and sing in Dutch, and tell them I know how to pluck a chicken. Well, the guy has a big potty mouth, and many times needed some censorship. I guess I am not used to hearing swearing anymore. When I told him I can pluck a chicken, he said: "you can what?? you can *** a chicken??". I was sooo embarassed. But I just sang "lang zal ze leven" and did a very silly, embarassing dance at the same time, and got my shirt.

Last night I learned something new about myself. I do not like to talk to people I don't know, and especially not to ask them for favors or anything. I would much rather go on stage, make a fool of myself in front of a huge group, than talk to someone face-to-face, and have that potential for rejection. Wendy is so much bolder! Ben Stein was on the show, and talking about North Idaho, so she did a little scream. I thought she was going to get in trouble, and was a little embarrased (sorry Wendy). But after the show was over, Ben asked who was from Idaho, and came to talk to her and shook her hand. Cool. Then, after the show, she went up to the security guard to ask if there was any way we could meet Jimmy. I just could never do that. I am just afraid they will get mad at me, or plain laugh at me. No one laughed at her, and just nicely told her to wait in the alley if we wanted to have a chance of seeing him. (we didn't by the way)

The hospital is located in kind of a seedy part of town, and after gettting off the train, we had to wait for the bus to take us from the train station to the hospital. There were cops parked along the street (never a good sign), and we even spotted a few helicopters that were searching for someone. Add in some sirens, fake ID sellers, and dirty stores, and you kind of get the idea. I am usually not really nervous or scared about being out at night, and secretly laugh at people that are worried about going outside alone in places like Boise, but this was different. Pretty much the only people who were walking around were men, and this one crazy lady. I didn't have anything valuable on me, but I still didn't want to get mugged. (again, we didnt' by the way)

2 comments:

Monica said...

I am glad your mom is doing well. Did you decide on Jimmy Kimmel instead of Leno?

Amber said...

I too am glad to hear your mom's op went well. And I think you are such a braver woman than I to get up on stage at all! Sounds like you gals are making the most of your trip!

Share buttons