Thursday, October 16, 2008

Too early

My mom had to check in at the hospital at 5am this morning. They used my cell phone to set their alarm, and at 4.40am they couldn't figure out how to turn it off. My phone is kind of annoying, because if you push any button besides the "dismiss" button, the alarm will keep going off every 10 minutes or so. So I got up and helped them turn it off.

In Texas it's 2 hours later, so even though it was only 4.40am here, my internal timer told me it was 6.40am (which is after my regular rising time, because I have to get the kids off to school). Since Wendy and I can't really go into the hospital with her after they admit her, we decided to stay behind at the guest "hotel". Being wide awake, I decided to head to the lunchroom, which has 2 computers in it. I am very thankful that I can have access to the internet, because that's the way I stay connected.

Using dial-up, after having had DSL for the past 2 years, really makes me appreciate my fast internet at home. Sometimes I get annoyed when my internet doesn't pop up immediately, but after using this computer I realize it's still WAY faster than dial-up. With dial-up you just have to be ready to zone out for a few minutes each time you try to access a new web page.

So now, an hour later, it's still too early to officially wake up, but my stomach is growling because it's past my regular breakfast time. Of course, by getting up this early, I'll have to pay tonight when I don't go to bed 2 hours earlier than normal. Somehow I'll have to try and squeeze some sleep in at some time.

warning: surgery details
My mom's surgery should be over between 11am and 1pm, which is when we find out how it went. There are no sort of updates during the surgery. The main side affect my mom is trying to prevent is loss of hearing in the ear they are operating on. The hearing nerve is very sensitive, and easily damaged. First thing, they make an insicion of the skin in the shape of a question mark (almost more like a "C"). Then they pull that skin back, kind of like a flap, leaving the hair on it intact. Next, they have to get into the skull, so they can actually remove the tumor. It takes them 3 hours just to drill part of her skull off (a little piece about an inch in diameter as I understand it) so they can access the area they are operating on. Then they will get the nerves out of the way (the balance nerve, hearing nerve, and facial muscle nerve). Then the neuro surgeon comes in and actually takes the tumor out one tiny piece at a time. After it has been removed, they replace the piece of skull, and cover it with titanium mesh, and secure it in place with a bunch of tiny screws. The skin gets put back in place, and voila.

It really amazes me to think about all the medical advances we have. Even just 50 years ago, a person with a tumor like my mom's, would just get sicker and sicker, until one day they would keel over and die. Now, we have a big chance of total recovery. I am so glad to have a Heavenly Father that loves us, and helps us through these tough times. He has blessed all of us with a sense of peace about this whole thing. I hope that everything goes well, and of course, that my mom will come out of surgery without any side effects. Either way, she and and my dad, and me too, know this is the right thing to do, and that she is in the best hands possible.

2 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

good luck Jessica, I will say a prayer for her.

Amyjoy

Bea said...

Do keep us posted please.
auntie B.

Share buttons