Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dumped some juice

I made my way over to LA. The trip was very pleasant and non-stressful. After going through security, I had about 40 minutes to kill. Rather than sitting around, I came up with the idea to curl my hair. So I plugged in my curling iron in the restrooms and took my time curling it. The only problem was that after I was done, the curling iron was steaming hot. Since I didn't want to sit in the bathroom for the next 20 minutes, I just unplugged it and took it into the terminal. I'm sure some people gave me some funny looks, but who cares... I looked fabulous! (just kidding)

The flight was non-stop, which made for a much more pleasant trip. If it hadn't been for the fact that I spilled my juice all over my lap in the middle of the flight, I might even say it was a great flight. I sat next to a larger man, and sat in a small chair (especially compared to first class), but the flight wasn't too long. Luckily after I dumped the juice all over me, I was able to change my pants since I only had a carry-on bag.

The lady sitting next to me had never flown before. This is such a foreign idea to me. I have no idea how many times I have flown. I probably started before I was a year old, and have flown about once a year since (some years more, some less). I can't even imagine what it would be like to not fly for the first time until I was 30.

I met my sister Wendy at the airport, her flight was delayed a little. We agreed to meet at the baggage claim, and after I got there, she called me to ask where I was. I told her I was at baggage claim4, and she told me she was there too, and couldn't see me. We were confused, and after a minute we realize we were standing 5 feet away from each other, facing opposite directions. Ha, ha, very funny.

We took the shuttle to the metro stop, and then on 3 different metros to the hospital. It's fun to see all the variety of folks that live out here. Leonard doesn't have as much variety. My dad met us at the metro stop at the hospital, and we made the 0.5 mile trek uphill. Wendy had practically packed her whole house, and my poor dad was the one who had to pull it up the hill. It was great to see my parents again.

My mom is doing super, under the circumstances, and her spirits are high. She is having surgery here in LA, because this is where the best doctors are. Her tumor is in ear canal, and is about 0.3" around, and the doctors have a lot of experience. They do about 300 of these operations a year, versus 70 in Holland. Tomorrow is the big day, and we're all keeping up high hopes that she'll have minimal side effects.

1 comment:

Nancy Sabina said...

Yikes. Wet pants does not sound like fun - good thing you had your bag.

Share buttons