Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Stocked up

After not having gone (real) grocery shopping in at least 3 weeks, it was nice to fill up my cupboards and fridge again. This morning my empty fridge begged me to clean it, so I gave it a quick wipe down. It's amazing how dirty it was. I just never realized it. I think it's because we always open the fridge with a purpose. You open it, get something out, and close it.

We had our quarterly foster home review, although it seemed pointless, since we don't currently have any children placed in our home. The questions we were asked included: do you discipline foster kids in the right way, are you submitting school report cards, etc. Even when we do have a child, we shouldn't have to deal with these issues, since he/she will be under school age.

The adoption worker's visit promted a quick pickup/cleanup of the house. I have to admit that I never quite know how much to clean. If it's not clean enough, they won't want to place with us. If it's too clean, and smells clean, they get suspicious. I guess if it's too clean, they think it's normally filthy and that you just did a major clean. So I went for the middle ground. I picked up most toys, but not all. I swept the floors, wiped the counters, and gave the bathroom a quick wipe-down as well. Turns out, she didn't even look at any of that.

Good news for Joe: I leave him with a stocked fridge/pantry, and a clean house. My flight leaves in the middle of the day, which I planned on purpose. I didn't want to get up at zero-dark-thirty, and also didn't want to arrive late at night. Especially because I have to take the metro from the airport to the hospital once I get there. So tomorrow I should be able to take it easy, get packed, and drive to the airport. I plan to bring some good magazines to read, and maybe even wear some make-up, to look half-decent.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Sterkte in deze spannende dagen.
Wij denken aan jullie en vooral aan je moeder en vader natuurlijk.
liefs, auntie B.

wannabee free said...

good luck on your trip. ( i mean for your mother's operation) :)
good job leaving your hubby so well prepared for your absence :)

Share buttons