Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In Loving Memory

Our beloved cat Pumpkin has gone to cat heaven today.
It makes me sad to think he won't be around anymore. He was the cat that acted like a dog. He followed me everywhere I went. He would fight off the mean neighbor cat. He was a playmate to our other cat Sunny, from the time they were kittens. He put up with all the abuse the kids put him through, from tail pulling, to choking, to skin grabbing, and leg pulling.
I am sad to say that his unique cat personality is what got him killed. This morning, as I was taking Winter to the bus, he ran into the driveway to greet me, but he ran under my car. I tried to stop, but it was too late.
Now I struggle to find words to tell my children, especially Sterling, that their cat will not be back. And, until Joe gets home, I need to veer them from the scene of the crime (I just can't make myself pick him up) It would have been so much easier if it had simply disappeared, or even got eaten by a coyote. And I don't even have a recent photo!!

2 comments:

Farmer Joe said...

I am ashamed to say that I actually liked this cat. He literally climbed my leg the other day while I was watering the new trees....all the way up to my belt...nice and slow, so as to avoid causing me any harm.
He held his own against the puppies, came when called, followed us around the yard and was, in general, not aloof like a regular cat.

I guess, now that he is no longer with us, and since he was such a cool cat, I can start to think about forgiving him for the multiple steaming dooky piles he left in my shop, your garage, and in the shed.

Nancy Sabina said...

Ahhhhhh. How sad. I guess that's an important lesson for kids, especially farm kids, to learn. But it still must be hard. Good luck!

Share buttons