Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chase a Chicken

I made a big mistake today.

2 stray dogs were sitting on our driveway. I wanted Justin to chase them off, so I whistled for him. By the time he came, the other dogs already came up to me to say hi. They were very friendly. So when Justin came to see what I wanted, he thought those dogs were friends. If a strange dog comes on our property, Justin chases them off. But when our friends' dogs come over, Justin plays with them...

At first I didn't really mind. But that quickly changed when they decided it would be fun to chase chickens. Of course once they started running, Justin got into the mood and joined in the fun. So I jumped off the couch, grabbed a piece of re-bar, and started chasing the dogs, trying to scare them off. I managed to get them all the way off the driveway. Right about the time they were gone, I discovered my feet were covered with thorns and prickly things. I also noticed for the first time that it was 105 degrees outside, and that my body was drenched in sweat. It took a considerable amount of effort to make it back up the driveway.

Of course they came back. All my loud screaming, chasing, and craziness was for nothing. But the difference between this time and last, was that I just didn't care enough to chase them off again. I did yell at them, but they didn't seem to care at all. I was also ready to bring in bullet reinforcements. After consulting with Joe on the phone, I loaded my pistol with a pellet bullet. Unfortunately there was only 1 bullet. Turns out I'm not a very good shot. Those dumb dogs just looked at me when I shot at them. They didn't even flinch at the loud noise. At one point I even considered tying them up to keep them from chasing, but they just got away each time. I wasn't ready to shoot/kill the dogs, so today I had to rely on Joe to fix my problem. When he came home, he ran them off with the car, and they didn't come back again. So much for being self-sufficient...

No comments:

Share buttons