Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Education

In the middle of this moving madness, I have to get the kids ready for school.

Unfortunately for Ginger, she misses the September school deadline by just a few months. She is a very mature girl for her age, and has been ready to start school for the last 2 years now. With Dutch school coming up, and her readiness, I felt it very important to find her a good preschool. Turns out Plano is an expensive place to put your kid in preschool. When Winter was in preschool in Boise, I paid $90 for 3 days a week (3 hours). In Plano, I'll end up paying $280 for 5 days a week (3 hours). But that $280 will be totally worth it for Ginger! I'll just work a little extra to make up for the cost.

Ginger's preschool is part of the Plano school district. It's fairly far away from my in-law's house, and after driving over there, I considered finding a closer one. Luckily I decided to go in anyways, just to talk to the administration. Turns out Ginger can be picked up by the bus at the Elementary school, and dropped off at the preschool. Sure, they make me pay extra, but that extra is still less than it would be for me to drive her myself in the suburban. Plus I don't have spend an extra hour in the car every day. I'm also extra excited about Ginger getting to ride the bus, since the older kids have been able to do that for the past 3 years. Plano ISD doesn't have school buses, because everybody lives in such close proximity to the school anyways.

Winter and Sterling's transition should be fairly smooth. Andrews Elementary is a wonderful school (Winter attended there our first 3 months in Texas in 2007) The supply lists are scaring me though, because as an educated woman, I'm not sure what several items are. I'm starting to understand why some people choose to purchase their supplies in a packet, through the PTA.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

even this is still two years away for me I have no clue how all this education stuff works here and I am a little scared. But I guess I'll figure it out...
How fun for ginger she gets to ride the bus!

Renee Campbell said...

Wowza, is that 280 bucks per week or the whole semester? Please tell me it is for the whole semester.

Jessica said...

$280 /month

Renee Campbell said...

Ah, now that is not so much sticker shock, LOL.

Nancy Sabina said...

Ummm, just for the record, I pay only slightly less than that for 3 day/wk preschool here - at the cheapest preschool around. But I guess I should stop being shocked by how high the cost of living is here compared to there.

Good luck to everybody starting school, and moving to Plano, and have fun this weekend!

Unknown said...

Wow! That DOES sound like a lot of money to me! Especially since I'm used to it being absolutely free here and the 4 and 5 year olds go to school approx. 24 hrs a week. Sometimes there is a small fee for extra activities or for staying over during lunchtime 3 days a week. The kids have to bring their own lunch though! Depending on the school it's not mandatory for them to stay at school during lunch time, but that means you'll have the extra travel time.

Share buttons