Friday, January 16, 2009

My Old Friend

As I was sitting around last night, pittying myself for not having any friends to hang out with, my thoughts turned back to the Boise days. Sure, back then I hung out a lot with my friends, but another "friend" kept me busy for many hours. This friend is my sewing machine. Somehow, he has been locked in a cabinet like a common criminal for the last year and a half. He had done nothing to deserve this sentence, or cruel treatment. I had just become selfish, and devoted no time to his wellbeing. So I started by mending clothes, most of which my kids have outgrown by now. I reclaimed some of my favorite pants, skirts, and even a Sunday dress.

Today I am missing out on a fun sample sale, which I was invited to go to by Catherine. This would have been a day of girl fun, shopping, and new clothes. I just had 2 little problems. No money, and children to take care of. I decided buying myself new clothes was really a want, rather than a need, and made the tough decision not to go. But I still want new clothes!

Put my old friend together with my want for clothes.... and I get what I want! I kept busy all night, AND I have a fabulous new skirt. The coolest thing: I already had all the materials. Here's what I started withand this is what I ended up withI love you, my old friend! Welcome back in my life!

Since Joe was still in bed when I took these pictures, I took about 50 of them with my remote control. It's impossible to keep a 3 year old out of the picture the whole time. (but I'm glad I got this cute picture)

12 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

It looks great! Congrats on a good choice.

Richard just got me a sewing maching and I am so excited! I have basically no skills right now so I am definitely NOT at the make-a-skirt-in-one-night phase yet - but now I can be some day!

wannabee free said...

That is a fabulous skirt!! send over the pattern! or better yet, I'll send my measurements and you can make me one! ;)
you know nothing of mine ever turns out that good, but you're a pro!

Jessica said...

Challis - this is that pattern that you borrowed from me for about a year... remember? If you want to send me some fabric, zipper, and measurements, I'll make you one ;)

Farmer Joe said...

Jessica, why is the sewing machine referred to in the masculine? Perhaps there's a blog post in that? What is his name anyway?

Wendy said...

LOVE love love the skirt!, You really did get oma's talent for sewing, maybe I should ask santa for a sewing machine next year. I really want to be able to sew and I remember the few times I have I really enjoyed it!
I think I will have Lauren help me first. Her mom was/is a great seamstress too!
Love your shoes too. totally jessica.

ps I LOVE MY NEW HOME!!!! Moving day tomorrow!

Kaitlyn said...

Lovely skirt, I wish I could sew!

Monica said...

The skirt turned out great. I as well as Joe was wondering why your machine is a him? Funny.

Bea said...

Don't know where my comment went. I wrote something like:
Well done! It's so satisfying when you'can make your own clothes, don't you think?
And Wendy, I totally agree, Jessica has absolutely inherited oma's talent.

auntie B.

Rebecca said...

SUCH a cute skirt! I have absolutely no sewing talent or patience, but I'm always completely impressed with things like that.

Will of the hill said...

ADORABLE!! I can't make a puzzle moreless --a skirt--I would probably sew my hand to my head--The last time i made something I ws in 4-H and was fourteen--

But you inspire me once again--to be a better woman--

And I agree with you also --It's a man item--cause it's a machine-i think as far as machines go, only cars can be a girl or a boy---
He looks like a KEN--from the photo--lol

Good job lady

wannabee free said...

jessica, i thought it looked familiar. what a loser i am. i'm sure i still have the fabric & the zipper for the skirt i was gonna make from that pattern. tooo funny!!!
problem is i'm still too 'fat' to fit into the size i'd like. :)

The Bartel Bunch... said...

You did a great job on the skirt! And the sexy heels helped too!

Share buttons