Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Consequences

I know I am not always right, but sometimes I am.

Why not give a 5 year old boy a pocket knife? I tried to explain to Joe that it's not a good idea. He thinks it's good for Sterling, so he can get used to knives. What possible good could come from a 5 year old spastic kid with a knife? No good at all. I went outside to get a little exercise, and this is what I found
Does anyone else agree it's a BAD IDEA to give a 5 YEAR OLD BOY A KNIFE????? It's taking me everything I've got right now, not to scream on the top of my lungs, and wack him upside the head!

I try to teach my kids right from wrong, but wonder whenever something like this happens, if anything gets through their heads. The worst part is, that if I were to say something like: "Now you can't have a trampoline anymore", he comes back with"I didn't want one anyways". How do I make him realize that it's not about what HE wants. It's about the $150 it cost me to get him, AND my other kids, AND friends that come over, a fun thing to do outside. That it's about my sanity on the days that they are driving me insane inside, and all I can do is make jump to use extra energy. It's about his total disregard for other people's property.

Because of my high emotions, I decided Joe needs to be the one to give Sterling a consequence. And it better be good. Like... no nightlight for 2 months. Or no allowance for the next 10 years. Or no duck for his birthday, which he has been wanting for almost a year. Or maybe he can unload the dishwasher for the next 3 years. Or fold my laundry, clean my bathrooms, or start a paper route?

10 comments:

Farmer Joe said...

no picture?

Todd and Amyjoy said...

I totally sympathize with you. 5 year olds do not need nor should have knives.
I think I would be equally mad at the one who gave him the knife in the first place. Maybe HE should do the dishes for 3 years! hee hee

I am sorry about the trampoline. Good luck!

Amber said...

So, although this stinks and I would be equally furious, you can get a hole that size patched. Our tramp bed is the same one we had growing up and has been patched a zillion times (not quite the sturdiest thing, but it will do). I'm not sure if there is a place near you, but to get a rip sewn up runs about $30 around here. Oh and I am very curious to learn what Joe comes up with as far as punishment goes!

angela michelle said...

Yep, he definitely needs a consequence. The question is, Which consequence would do the best job of teaching him the right lesson?

Kaitlyn said...

I can imagine giving consequences might be the hardest part of parenting. So sorry, but I hope everything works out well.

Nancy Sabina said...

That makes me so mad to think about on your behalf that I just snapped at Asher after reading it. Sheesh. Good luck dealing with that, Joe.

wannabee free said...

I guess make him earn the money it takes to get it repaired. And I guess he loses the privilege of owning a knife...
hard lessons to learn!
Good Luck!

Wendy said...

did you not like my earlier comment?

Monica said...

Oh my. I laughed so hard I cried when I read your post. 5 year old dod not need knives! Did he come up with a good consequence?

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll stand up with a target on my chest. Our children do not learn by being protected (Fie on 5 yr. olds do not need knives). They do learn in various ways, but the most effective is by experimenting and facing consequences. He's probably already learned a lesson by suffering his mother's disdain and ridicule, but any further reinforcing consequences need to be tied to the destruction, not to some nebulous, revenge-centric thing like night-lites or dishes. He may SAY he doesn't care if he looses tramp privileges, but being banished is still an effective, direct consequence.
In your Fa-in-law's opinion.

Share buttons