Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dutch Food

I have lived in the United States for over 10 years now, but there are still several Dutch Food items I simply can't live without. Well... okay, some I live without most of the time, but others I always have in stock.  One of those is Hagelslag. Hagelslag are sprinkles for sandwiches. The original hagelslag is made from chocolate, milk and pure. However, there are now many other kinds. Including fruity flavors, licorice flavors, and also different shapes. Any time I am close to running out of hagelslag, I either buy it online, have my parents bring some, or buy it in Holland (those rare occasions I go to visit). Somehow, none of these methods had happened lately, and I found myself out!!! The tragedy! My kids love it too, and were asking for it. A while back, when we went to a Dutch restaurant in Dallas, the owner told me about a German deli that also sells Dutch groceries. I had never really had the need to go there, but now the need was there. It just so happens that this Deli is located down the street from Joe's cousin Katy. We visit her regularly, and we were there the day after Christmas for her daughter's party. Katy and I made it over to the Deli, and I was just delighted. I didnt' think they would have as much stuff as they did. I
 wanted to buy it all. Katy, who is a loud/outspoken person, was a little shocked at my reaction. I was just sooo excited. Some of the things they had sell, and I bought:
  • Hagelslag - they had like 8 kinds I just bought 3.

  • Ontbijtkoek - breakfast cake that is made with whole grains and delicious with butter
  • Roggebrood - Pumpernickel bread that is unlike any American pumpernickel bread. Made with whole kernels of rye, great with whole brown sugar, or Dutch Gouda cheese
  • Pannekoeken mix - Dutch pancake mix
  • Licorice - nothing like American licorice. It's very salty (actually there are sweet kinds too), and strong. It made my BIL Josh's eyes water
  • Appelstroop - another sandwich topping, it's a type of apple butter, but more syrupy
  • Schenk stroop - molasses syrup for Dutch pancakes
Other things they had, which I really wanted to buy, but I didn't want to break the bank:
  • Cassis - carbonated currant soda YUM! -they wanted $1.99 for a tiny bottle
  • Indonesian Komex ingredients including Kroepoek! ketchap, nasis, etc
  • Chocolate -of course, but they really sell good chocolates all over the place these days
  • Bitterballen -That's right! They have a little Deli, and bitterballen is one of the things they serve. I want to go over there one day and have some bitterballen for lunch
  • All kinds of great cookies
  • Sinterklaas food including pepernoten, speculaas, gevulde spijskoek, chocolade letters etc
  • beschuitjes - crisp bread, served with licorice sprinkles when you have a new baby
  • stroopwafels - honey wafels that are a hit with all Americans that try them
I have truly been enjoying the little food I did buy. Especially the ontbijtkoek (at a hefty price of $4.99) and the roggebrood. It's too bad the store is an hour away, yet at the same time it's a great blessing, because if I lived close, I might just spend way too much money there!

6 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Wait, you're Dutch? Too cool! Plus, you put chocolate on sandwiches? I have a new found respect for the Dutch. Stroopwafels sounds so yummy!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Ok, so you have toppings for sandwiches. Do you just put them on bread? It isn't served with meat or cheese is it? I can't bear the thought of a turkey sandwich with licorice sprinkles, no matter how much I love black licorice.
Do explain!

BigDaddy said...

I love German food, and it's so hard to find a store with a good selection, so I can kind of sympathize with you. But seriously, sprinkles on a sandwich? I'm sure it's fabulous, don't get me wrong, but I do hope you don't mix it with meat.
-Tiff

wannabee free said...

When I was in sweden I fell in love with Cassis. It is so so yummy! And of course we ate things like those seed crackers with butter and such. My favorite was the most delicious strawberry yogurt, it was so rich & creamy, like nothing you'll ever experience in the states.
and alte gouda is the BEST!!

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

shoot, I should have gone with you guys after the party, I didn't know you found the stroopwafels there! I was planning to gift those to my family for christmas this year. I'll have to try again next time I'm in Dallas, or find a supplier here in NYC... there must be one!

Monica said...

Oh I remember the Hagelslag. You let me try it a couple of times. yum yum. So gald you found a place to buy it so exciting!

Share buttons