Sunday, January 4, 2009

Habits

Habits are formed after repeating an action 7 times. I guess I have formed a new habit of NOT writing on my blog. I am not happy with this new habit, and strive to resolve it. It's so easy to get behind with blogging, and when I get behind, it doesnt' seem fun to catch up. I hate catch up posts, so I will simply skip Christmas, new years, and the rest of the vacation, and jump ahead into 2009. 

I am somewhat of a TV addict. I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be, but I am still hooked to certain shows. It just happens that this year brings several shows I'm really excited about including
  • Lost
  • The Bachelor
  • Superstars of Dance
  • Scrubs
When I say I'm not as bad as I used to be, I better explain just how bad I was. There was a point when I pretty much watched TV every day from 7pm-10pm. Then, if multiple shows aired at the same time, I would record those, and watch them after the others were over. 

It became a real problem when for some reason or other I wasn't going to be home. I always set my VCR, and usually that worked great. FYI, we don't have cable, satelite, or DVR, so recording multiple shows at a time was out of the question. However, sometimes I would forget to set the VCR, or other problems would arise. Several times we were at a restaurant or other place, when all of a sudden I realized I would miss my shows if immediate action wasn't taken. I relied heavily on friends (thanks Monica) to record it for me. Sometimes I would make my whole family rush back home.

I am better now. Online episodes, combined with scaling back, has lead to a much healthier TV watching life style. This past Fall season, I didn't follow any shows, and would only occasionally watch Law & Order, or CSI. This coming season will be a little harder, just because there are several really good shows. For some reason NBC and ABC wanted to bug me though, and are airing superstars of dance, and the Bachelor at the same time! But I'll manage just fine, and waste hours and hours of my life watching (in reality) dumb shows that are of no real significance. 

How about you? Do you drop everything to watch your favorite show?

5 comments:

Monica said...

No problem. You know that most of the time I recorded a show for you I wanted to watch it too. Oh and you didplenty of recording for me as well. In fact I still have one of your blank tapes. It has written on it in Joe's writing, "tape for dumb shows"
I have cut back with TV as well but I think it is b/c my focus has shifted to computer time.
I too am looking forward to watching Lost and I just might have to watch the Bachelor now that you have brought it to my attention. Of course you know that I love SYTYCD. I was not really looking forward to Dance Wars but Mark just said that it airs in 5 min so I just might turn it on and check it out.

Nancy Sabina said...

We first got a DVR when Richard got a calling that required him to be gone on Thursday nights and it almost killed him to think of missing certain shows on that night. Now I'm pretty sure I couldn't live without one. I watch all those shows from 7-10 (except on the East Coast prime time is 8-11) but I save at least one of them for the next day during naptime. I really need that hour break-from-reality in the middle of the day to be ready to face the kids again in the afternoon. I want to give SuperStars of Dance a shot - but I am most looking forward to Burn Notice.

Will of the hill said...

--You would be screaming --"Blasphemer" at me today --I just called and cancelled our television--Trimming the fat in the budget--and since i don't have super cool stores with super cool coupons--or a wonder woman ability to make things different where i live--I have to settle for no telvesion--which shouldn't be a big deal--we still have netflix and a gazillion movies to watch( i think the kids got twenty for Christmas)

I missed your blog while you were "gone"--You are my inspiration for the New Year--I am trying really hard to do mine--wish me luck--

BigDaddy said...

One word for you, Jessica, NETFLIX!
It saves tons of time, since you don't have to watch all the commercials, and you can watch the entire season in a week (or less, depending on your level of addiction).

-Tiff

The Bartel Bunch... said...

My shows this season are:
24
Lost
Superstars of Dance
House
American Idol (maybe)
THis is going to be the most TV I have every watched!

I have a friend who makes fun of me when I say i have to record my shows. She's like "On tape? How primitive. Do you have to watch commercials and everything?"

Share buttons