Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Paperwork and education

On top of the 4 solid days of Pride training, we also have to do online training and continuing education for our Foster care/Adoption process. I created a list with all the required paperwork, and it has slowly been getting shorter. I love to just do one thing at a time, that way eventually you will get it all done. We are getting closer to the end of the process, and I scheduled my home study for July 1st! Once they do the home study it takes them about 2 weeks to write everything up, after which we are officially "open" for foster kids. There are different ways you can do foster care. The way we want to do it, is to accept only children that have a good chance of becoming available for adoption (Legal Risk). We don't want to just foster one kid after another, but would like to adopt one instead. Sometimes, when you get a foster child whom is Legal Risk, the birth mother shapes up, and the kid goes home. But there is also a good chance that the birth mother doesn't fulfill all the requirements, and gets her parental rights taken away. I am really curious to see how long it will take for a child to be placed with us. Of course it depends a lot on our specifications, but also other circumstances. We have a limited age range that we are open to (0-18 mos) so that kind of works against us -time wise. However, we are open to boys and girls, any race, and some special needs. Those things all work for us. I guess all I can do is wait and see...

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Man, I don't think I could ever do that. The waiting would seriously kill me. And the not knowing. Ugh. But congrats on being so close. Some kid is about to get seriously lucky.

Farmer Joe said...

Very kind of you to say that Nancy (unless you meant that they will be extremely lucky to just have you as an aunt.)

deets said...

Wow, it looks like we are at about the same stage in this process. I am excited to read back in your blog.

We just finished the interviews for our home study...woot!

Amber said...

I think you guys are amazing for doing this! I can't wait to hear about it when the first child gets placed in your home!

Lindsey from The R House said...

you are so brave. these little ones need you. i recently went to a foster care conference in utah and was overwhelmed with the stats on this precious little lambs.

i hope you will get to adopt them. i know that can be hard.

adoption is such a miracle for all involved. i am excited for you.

...and i am totally adding you as one of my "adoption peeps." welcome to my world! it is an elite group!

:)

p.s. have fun with your family. your house looks VERY clean. i am jealous.

Share buttons