Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturdays suck

As a kids I looked forward to the weekend. Weekends meant, time off, fun things, and variety. As a teenager I went to a horse riding club every Saturday morning. I would often ride my bike 45 minutes each way, in rain or shine, and no matter the wind. Even though sometimes I detested my bike, I think I also really enjoyed it. That's one of the things I miss a lot about Holland... the biking. There, you just don't have money for more than 1 car (if 1 car), and everything is so close, that most is accessible by bike, or if not by bike, definitely by public transportation. Then, going into college, the weekends meant dates, fun activities, and a break from school. I guess looking forward to weekends for the first 21 years of my life, really sunk into my psyche.

Now weekends mean more work, same old things, and more work. We have so many things to get done around the house, we rarely go on dates, and lets face it: when the husband and kids are home, there's just more work to be done in general (disclaimer, Joe is a great helper). I just need to get over the fact that weekends are not a fun free-for-all anymore. Maybe, when we are millionaires, can hire housekeepers, and handymen for all the projects, we can go back to the blissdom of fun filled weekends. Don't get me wrong, we occasionally still do fun things, but I would say that 95% of our weekends are of the more boring variety. Sorry for the whining... just had to let it out!

2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

I struggle with the same feelings. Our family always tries to spend at least an hour or two doing something fun all together on Saturdays - but we don't have a farm to keep up!

wannabee free said...

ditto here. i look forward to sat. now as the day to get things done. i tend to forget about having fun. however, abram only wants to have fun so sat. usually ends up being very frustrating because neither of us gets what we want.

Share buttons