Thursday, December 4, 2008

Santa Store

Leonard Elementary has a Santa store at their library. This is a great place for kids to buy presents for their loved ones. They have all sorts of trash and trinkets, ranging from $0.05 to $15.00. We thought it would be a good experience for the kids to have their own spending money and a list of people to buy for. 

I have to tell you it was almost crazy enough to send me into a mental institution. The kids kept asking me "can I buy this?"... no that's too expensive.... "can I buy this?" ... no, you can't buy anything for yourself. They figured it out though, and
 each of them walked out of there with presents for 5 people, within their budget. 

The first thing Sterling said in the car was: "we have to use tape". This is funny, because my kids are absolutely obsessed with tape. They go through it like candy. Whenever they are at their grandparents house, they easily use 1 roll per day (more if we would let them). They are so obsessed with it, that I have considered wrapping up some tape, and giving it to them in their stockings.

Here is one of Sterling's creations with tape
Ginger had fun hitting her daddy over the head with wrapping paper. 
After all the presents were wrapped, we gathered for a quick family photo shoot by the tree. It is very disconcerting when I can't find any family photos that are less than a year old (the last one I took got eaten by the last computer crash)

6 comments:

Jason and Jen said...

Cute family pic! That is so cool the kids' school does that.

Nancy Sabina said...

What a neat thing for a school to do. And Wow! that you bought the presents and wrapped them all in the same day. I'm always up the night before wrapping because I procrastinate it.
The family pic looks great. I'm wishing you were closer to us so that you could take our family pic - I'm having trouble getting a good one!

wannabee free said...

Pretty cute!!

Kaitlyn said...

I love that idea, it's a good way to understand the concept of money. cute pictures!

angela michelle said...

love the silly pic--and the tape creation! our school does the santa's workshop thing too, but during school hours and parents aren't supposed to come peek.

Monica said...

So I know this is an old post but it has been at least this long since I sat and read blogs other than coupon blogs. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed talkin gto you the other day and that I like that picture ofyou family in front of the tree I am surprised you did not use it for your christmas card.

Share buttons