Monday, December 22, 2008

Injuries on the rise

I'm not sure what's going on with me these last few weeks, but I have been prone to injury.  It all started when I stubbed my toe on some hardwood flooring that is waiting to be laid. It was bleeding pretty badly, and hurt for a long time. Oh, btw, Joe was laughing at me when it happened, because that wood had been laying there for a few weeks. Only then, he was punished by the karma Gods a few days later, when he too stubbed his toe really hard.

The next injury I incurred was just a few days ago when I was doing a mad-dash cleaning session in the kitchen. I was picking up stuff to go in the trash, when out of the corner of my eye saw a can top. I had already kind of turned away from it, and blindly reached backward to grab it. The serrated edge cut straight through my sensitive pinky skin, all the way to the bone (or so it seemed). 2 advils, 4 band-aids, and 24 hours later it was just barely starting to feel better. Here it is 4 days later

The final (hopefully) injury occurred just a few minutes ago while I was out feeding our new pig. Oh yes, I totally forgot to blog about our cute little potbellied pig named "Biggie Smalls". 
Joe found Biggie on Craigslist. Some people had him as a house pet, so he is potty trained. But of course we are not the types to have pets in the house, let alone pigs, so his new home is with Justin (dog), and the goats. They seem to get along quite nicely. Anyways, I was out there to feed them, and I tried to shoo away the goats so Biggie could eat. Well, I made the mistake to bend over, so that when one of the goats jerked his head up when I scared him, his big horn hit me hard in the forehead. At first I thought it was just a bump, but after touching it, and discovering blood on my hand, it appeared to have split open my head. I cleaned the blood off, and made the executive decision to patch it with a band-aid, instead of going to get stitches. So here I sit, typing with one hand while holding ice to my forehead, hoping my executive decision was a good one.
While I was out taking pictures of Biggie, I noticed my chickens' water was frozen over. I cracked the ice, which they seemed to appreciate, because they all started drinking immediately.

3 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Yikes! Sorry I have been a comment slacker, first off. It's that crazy time of year. Looks like you've had a painful week, I hope the forehead is the last of it andt hat they all heal fast!

Your piggie is so darn adorable, by the way :)

Maddy S said...

My gosh, that does not look too good. I hope you don't end up with a scar. And I too hope that is the last of your injuries.

Will of the hill said...

OH HONEY!! No more banging yourself up --It reminded me of when i was seven months pregnant and fell on a garden stake --embedded pieces of the wood in my calf--and broke my flip flop--thank godness I fell on my side so i didn't hurt the baby--I was so hormonal I couldn't stop crying--My sister was cleaning my wounds --I felt like humpty dumpty fat and broken!!

I love your farm stories though--they inspire me
We just got our first two guinea eggs this morning--So surprised as it is the middle of winter and they have no extra light in there coop--They are so tiny compared to our laying hens.

Share buttons