Thursday, November 13, 2008

Order in a house

This house is a magnet for dis-order. I don't know if it's the layout, or my lacking housekeeping skills, but I often feel like I'm drowning. There are always more dishes, laundry, crumbs on the floor, and dustbunnies. I guess in my last house, we had it on the market for a good period that we lived there, so it HAD to be clean. 

Today I feel like I'm treading water again, instead of drowning. The kitchen counter is clear for the first time in 2 weeks. The (clean) laundry is all put away. The dishwasher is peacefully humming. Our tummies are filled with a homemade meal. My kids are clean behind the ears (thanks Joe). My pantry is stocked, and the night is still young.

It's amazing to me how a clean house has such a great effect on my mental well-being. It make me calmer, more peaceful, and nicer. Our home truly is a house of God, when we take care of it that way. After all the hard work, I am ready to put my feet up, and just relax!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've now cursed youself in saying the house was clean! lol. I know exactly what you mean.. my laundry is clen, but stacked up on the pool table! Good luck!

Nancy Sabina said...

I'm oozing jealousy out my ears for your clean house. I'm about to break my own rule and go to bed without doing the dishes or picking up the family room after spending the night scouring the town for the best deals for Super-Saturday stuff. Ugh. I'm gonna really hate myself in the morning.

angela michelle said...

I so feel you! It seems like keeping everything really clean takes a ton of effort--but settling into a medium level of gunkiness is much easier to maintain!

wannabee free said...

I totally agree. It really makes the hugest difference when the house is dirty and clean and my attitude about life.
I keep telling Abram if we ever get any money, hiring a housekeeper would be the best reutrn on his money spent. A happy, energetic, playful wife vs an angry, tired, depressed wife.
someday.... or else we'll just move to costa rica and have a 'mamacita' to cook & clean.

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way about a clean house! When my husband is traveling, I tend to let it get cluttered. And then I clean it and realize I could have felt so good all week!

Thanks for the reminder.

Share buttons