Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cricket Cemetary

We had our first real good fall rain last night. When I woke up this morning to get the kids ready, there were about 50 crickets in my front hallway. I don't know if the rain wakes them up, or if they are just trying to find a dry spot. Crickets don't freak me out or anything, but they are mostly annoying, especially when they start singing at night.

Right away, I thought of my chickens. My chickens love live bugs. I went and got a chicken, plopped it down in my hall, and waited. It only ate one! So, figuring this chicken was defective, and grabbed a different one. This one wouldn't even think about eating one. Frustrated, I concluded I had to do it the hard way, and pick up each individual cricket, put them in a jar, and took them out to the chicken coop.

One of my hens showed especially a lot of interest, so when all the jar crickets were gone, I grabbed her. See; outside of my front door there were another 50 crickets (and I am not exaggerating). She went right to work, and in about 3 minutes cleared most of them out. 

The last 2 months or so, we haven't been getting any eggs. We finally found some after we got rid of the roosters, but then it stopped again. I figured that they were hiding them, so I started looking around in the bushes all along the house. At first I couldn't find any, but a few days later, I heard one of my hens making a ruccas by my air conditioner. She had made a little nest out of leafs, and was laying right there. The good thing: I know where she is laying. The bad thing: I have no clue how to get her to lay in the hen house. Actually, there is one solution, build a new fence. The one I have right now is pretty pathetic. Half the chickens just fly over it (and that's the half that actually lays eggs)

Also, 2 of my newer hens disappeared a few days ago. I thought for sure Justin or a coyote had gotten to them. But alas, there they were this morning, as if they had never left. I'll probably find a stack of 30 eggs in the woods some day.....

3 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Oh my word. Where do you live exactly? I need to never move there. I"m TERRIFIED of crickets. I know it's irrational but I might not sleep tonight with this image in my head.

wannabee free said...

That is such a funny image of you plopping a hen down in your entry and 50 crickets hopping about. ha ha!
Good Luck getting your hens to lay in the hen house.

Will of the hill said...

Hey lady,
I don't know how it is in Texas--but for us fall mean molting --Molting means no eggs--and really in the eyes of nature you layers would normally have a bunch of babies --so no time to lay eggs--You can try to stimulate them again by getting them some more light--red light --
And as far as your hens--clip their flight wings--It's best to do it at night--just go in there--extend a wing and clip way back just on one side--we had to do it to our duck the other day --as the cold weather required that we move him into the barn in a stall --I could not have a duck flying around in the midway of the barn--
Anyway --hope that helps--If you have any questions you know where I am --GOOD LUCK!!

Share buttons