Thursday, March 21, 2013

Under Pressure

About a month ago a friend of mine mentioned that she had an electric pressure cooker. A magical kitchen device that cooks food in a fraction of the normal time. After being frustrated with the hours and hours it takes to cook beans (after soaking them overnight), and after my slow cooker pot broke, I started researching electric pressure cookers. I decided to get the Instant Pot. It really is a magical machine! Bean soup ready in under an hour. From frozen chicken to a delicious meal in 45 minutes.

And tonight after making curry in it, (the kids didn't eat much because it was pretty spicy) I was craving some rice pudding. Normally I only make rice pudding if there is leftover rice, and it seems to take forever, and you have stir non-stop to prevent burning. So a lightbulb went off in my head, and I realized I could just make it in the pressure cooker.

All the recipes I found online are for a thicker, cold style rice pudding. We eat ours a little more liquid and warm. Here's the recipe I created

Rice Pudding / Rijstebrij
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar

Dump all the ingredients in the pot. Then I set the Instant Pot timer to 20 minutes, doubling the normal rice time.  After the cooker is done, turn it all the way off, and let let it sit for about 5-10 minutes (don't open the valve!) The rice should be very mushy and soft.  Add another 1- 1.5 cups of cold milk to thin out the consistency.  To serve add a dob of butter, and cinnamon and sugar to taste, and enjoy!

This recipe made barely enough for me and the kids to have dessert. Probably next time I'll make either 1.5 or double the recipe.
They asked why I don't make it more often. Maybe now I will!

(I was totally going to take a picture of the pudding, but we ate it so fast that I forgot!!

No comments:

Share buttons