Sunday, January 2, 2011

Elementary Schools

I purposely waited to make a decision on the kids'schools until we got to Zoetermeer. The best way to decide which school is best for my children is by visiting the potential candidates. Of course, I couldn't help myself, and started researching them tonight. BTW, my dad let us borrow his T mobile internet stick, so we are connected , YEAH!!! The tricky part about Dutch schools, is that it's very common for the moms (or dads) to pick up the children for lunch. A typical schedule would look like this:

8.30 am Drop off
11.30 am pick up for lunch
1.15 pm drop off again
3.30 pm pick up for end of day

Honestly, I just can't imagine myself spending that much time transporting my kids to and from school. Plus, on top of that, when you do have a job, you need to get a letter from your employer stating that your children have to stay at school, and it will cost you about 2.50 Euro per child/ per day. That's an hour wage. And that doesn't include a lunch!

Needless to say, I am trying for a school that has a "continuerooster", where all the kids eat at school in an American fashion. Right now it's looking like our best option is the "Tjalk" school which is 1.7 miles away. Will my kids whine at me for riding that far? Is it really not that far? Some of the other positives of that school: it's right next to my dad's house, making it easy to visit him. Another English speaking family who had also just moved into the ward, is sending their children there, so our kids won't be the only foreigners. My cousin Anouk's kids to go to school there. It's a small and good school, and recommended by my cousins.

The other option is a school I know nothing about, which is about 1.25 miles away. It is located more centrally between our house and "downtown" where it's likely that I'll find a job. The moral of the story: I need to just go to bed now, call the schools in the morning, and set up appointments to take a tour. And that's just what I'll do!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I always say, pray about it!

Share buttons