Monday, February 8, 2010

Swimming anyone?

Swimming might be the last thing on your mind right now. Especially if you are fortunate enough to have a few feet of snow. It's been on MY mind for the past week or so. Maybe not the swimming part, but mostly the pool. Last year we neglected the pool all winter, and well into spring. It wasn't a pretty picture!
So this year, my philosophy is prevention. The pool filter has been running all winter, and we keep the filters clear of leaves and debri. Up until this week, I haven't worried about the pool chemistry, but that's next on my list. I've also started a list of things to buy at the pool store. Including a pool broom (to get those leaves that did sit in the bottom, and left green stains) and a little glass "seeing-glass". If you fill a little glass jar with water, and leave it sitting outside in 16 degree weather, it WILL break! (and if you try to unscrew said broken glass with bare hands, they will get cut!)

With the large amounts of rain we've been getting, the pool has been full to be brim. Today I went out into the rain, with my raincoat, boots, hat, and rubber gloves on. I was ready to tackle that pool! A couple hundred gallons of water went down the driveway (which is already a river BTW), a bunch of leaves out of the filters and bottom, and a few gallons of bleach in the water. The pool isn't swim ready by any means, but we'll keep working on it, so when that first 80 degree weather hits, we're set to go.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I want to jump in that pool SOOO bad. Curse you winter!

skideewink said...

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...I am so there with you sista!! Really there at your house, come summer WITH YOU!

Share buttons