Sunday, June 26, 2011

Magpies

This morning as I was changing the trash bag liner, I glanced out the window and saw a Magpie by another little animal on the ground. Another magpie was watching from the top of the fence. At first I thought it must be her baby that fell out of the nest, but did a double take when I realized she wasn't trying to help the animal, but pecking at it. It was still struggling, and alive, so I opened the window, yelled at the bird, and ran downstairs. What I found.... a tiny little duckling, laying on its back. I believe that if I hadn't looked out the window at that exact moment, it would have been the end of it's short lived life on earth.
In Texas we raised 3 ducklings from early on, which convinced me we could also raise this one. We couldn't just put it back outside! So now we have her own little area set up in our bedroom, with a heat lamp, water bowl, and soon a food bowl.

Now I just hope she wasn't injured/traumatized to the point of no-return, and will be able to live a long happy duck life.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I loved hearing all about the things you are doing. I was so excited to check and see all your posts. So sorry we are not connecting on Skype. I now have an iPad and I think if I can figure out how to get it all going, it will be a good option to use.

Share buttons