Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Homework

Sometimes it seems that the kids' homework is just as much my homework. If I'm not on top of all the different assignments they have, and nag them, they just don't get done. And then my kids will have bad grades. You would think that by the time kids are in 3rd grade, they should be responsible for their own grades. And they should. But how do you teach that independence?

It's the same with the bedtime routine. You would think that after 9 years of brushing your teeth, putting on pajamas, and going to the bathroom every night, that those activities would be easy to remember. But no! They need to be reminded over, and over, and over.

Am I missing something?

2 comments:

Mark A said...

I think the answer (easier said than done) is to stop being responsible for their stuff and instead be responsible for ensuring they face a consequence for their bad choices.

Wendy said...

I like what mark said, but maybe you can have a check list for them. Since sterling and winter both read they can check it off. If they do it all without your reminding they get maybe a reward of staying up 5 minutes extra or something to that effect.
Easy for me to say though since I don't have older kids yet.

Share buttons