Saturday, October 13, 2012

Best Dam Half Marathon

I Ran my very first half marathon this morning. About 5 months ago my friend Lisa Calderwood asked me to join her. She had just had brain surgery, so of course I was amazed by her drive and determination. I started training 13 weeks ago. At first every step hurt. Slowly, I started getting faster. I even kept track of my progress in a spreadsheet, and it's amazing to see my progress. Of course I've never been a runner, and always prided myself on being a biking, not a runner. But at the same time always envied those who can run marathons. 

The Best Dam Half Marathon started at the Deer Creek dam in Wallburg, and went all the way through Midway up to Burgi Hill and down to Town Hall. This half marathon was a tough one, probably not the smartest to be your first. The deer creek trail has a lot of ups and downs, and after you get onto the paved road, the next 4 miles are a gradual incline. 

To get to the start line we boarded the Heber Valley Railroad in Heber City
Heber City Elevation: 5589
At the start line it was COLD. But fortunately we rode in a 1930s car of the train with a genuine coal heater so we were nice and toasty until we had to start running
Mount Timpanogos got its first snow last night!
I was nervous and excited for the race, and very thankful that I've been able to run the trail before today, so I knew what to expect.

Joe and the kids came to cheer me on at the end of the trail. It was so fun to run with the kids along side of my for a while. 

Around mile 8 my stomach started cramping up. I don't know if it's because I ate too much, or not enough, or maybe my water intake was too sudden and much, instead of being spread out like I normally like to do. (accidentally left my water bottle at the start line). I ran through the pain, with a lot of great encouragement from Lisa. At mile 10 I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish. Of course in situations like this you just keep going anyways. Fortunately the last 2 miles were down hill. 

The last 0.5 mile might have been the toughest. I could see the finish line, but we had to make a loop around Town square, and to top it off, the course was on the lawn. I almost met my goal of 2 hr 30 min.... by 1 minute. If we hadn't stopped for a potty break, I could have done it. 
Final time: 2 hr 31 min

Last night I was talking to Joe about how cool it would be to do a full marathon next. Maybe in a few weeks I might think so again, but as of right now a half marathon seems like all I could ever manage. 
 Everybody who finished got the coolest railroad "nail" medal.


Wendy said...

Wow. Geweldig! Echt goed jes!! En je hebt wel je doel gehaald want die potty break telt niet!!

Bea said...

Hartstikke goed Jessica! Gefeliciteerd!

Monica said...

Just saw your picture of ksl and decided it's been too long since I've checked your blog. that's an awesome accomplishment. Hope you are doing good.

Share buttons