Sunday, February 3, 2008

Trade Days

My friend Teresa and I went to the Canton Trade Days. Canton is about 2 hours from our house, so it's kind of a day long outing. The trade days are really cool. There are literally thousands of merchants that sell everything from plants, to home decor, to live animals. For the last several months I have wanted to get some chickens on our farm. Mostly because I have to pay $3 everytime I buy eggs at the store. That's just crazy to me. Teresa knows a lot about chickens, and she was able to help me pick out some good egg layers. I got 3 and she got 2. We would have liked to get some more, but most of them were sold out (chickens are kind of out of season right now)
We each also picked up a free puppy for ourselves, and she got another one for her grandpa. So here we were with 5 chickens, and 3 puppies..... Teresa bought a little cage, and we came to the conclusion that the only way we would be able to carry all of them to the car was to put her puppy in with the chickens in the cage. She led her other puppy on a leash, and I carried my puppy.
The reactions we got!!!! So funny. every 2 seconds someone would say something like: look at that! a puppy and chickens!!! Like it was the craziest thing they had seen in their entire life.
I named my puppy cinnamon (with the help of great grandma Benac). She is a mix between a blue heeler and some kind of shepherd dog.... a mut, hence the good price tag.
After I got home Joe and I spent several hours working on a chicken coop. We decided to turn part of our shed into a coop, and we got a good start, but we'll have to finish it on Monday. We even made some nesting boxes. Hopefully the chickens will start laying eggs soon!

updated animal count:
2 cats
1 horse
4 sheep
1 cow
4 goats
3 chickens
1 dog

No comments:

Share buttons